Geralda, founded in 1995, is the biggest manufacturer of candles in Lithuania. Soy wax, paraffin wax, and palm oil are used to make more than 50 different candle types.
Candle variants of various materials are offered in glass-, plastic-, and tin containers. Production occurs in small batches, following seasonal fluctuations in sales.
Small batches are handled on production lines with different throughput capacitites, so that processing time of manufacturing operations for identical products differs from production line to production line. Hence, rules are implemented that determine which product may be produced on which line. The main raw material supply of wax and glass containers needs to be planned for one to two months in ahead in time.
- The planning method involves a combination of an ERP system and Excel lists, which takes up to four hours every day. Even with this amount of effort sunk into it, the planning department is hardly able to synchronize production order with sales orders. This results in a very rough raw material purchase plan and high inventory stocks.
- High numbers of small and diverse orders and rush orders, together with frequent order changes, makes it impossible to keep the plan up to date.
- It is difficult to determine when additional shifts are required in advance; and when to return back to regular shifts again. (market potential fluctuation)
- Planner, shop floor and accountants spend much time every day on recording production progress on paper.
The Solution with Asprova.
- Processes and process restrictions are mapped in Asprova. Resource capabilities and alternative production routes are parameterized, too.
- Based on this information, Asprova creates a highly detailed, sequential schedule of all production resources. Finite resource capacity is considered in the whole process.
- And production order and BOMs are administered.
- Delivery dates are calculated and the planner informed on whether orders are going to be delayed in advance.
- Asprova is connected to an SQL-database, through which the sequence in which to handle work instructions is exported to production.
- Hand scanners are used in production for immediate recording of production results in the SQL-database and subsequent export to the ERP system and Asprova.
- Asprova calculates raw material requirements for days, weeks, and months in advance.
- The entire scheduling process, which is based on adjustable standard parameters and an entirely customizable scheduling logic, is fully automated.
- Asprova provides a highly accurate and feasible production plan.
- Reliable delivery information is generated.
- Extensive visualization functions are provided.
- Preparation of the production plan takes between fifteen to thirty minutes instead of three to four hours.
- It is possible to simulate existing and planned orders.
- Minor changes, such as rush orders, can be incorporated into the production plan instantly. Rescheduling with new information takes less than one minute.
- Raw material inventory stocks are kept at a minimum with the help of a raw material purchase plan.
- Increased resource efficiency
- Bottleneck-oriented planning
- Dynamic simulation helps in identifying problems early
- Detailed work instructions are issued for all resources